The National Archives reports that the original patent documents for the Wright brothers' Flying Machine surfaced recently after having been mis-filed in 1979. The document was recovered after a targeted search of more than 269 Million documents maintained by the Archives. The discovery is timely, as the documents were due to be displayed next month during the 110th anniversary of the patent grant date. U.S. Patent No. 821,393 was filed in March of 1903, several months before the historic flight, which would have been good advice from the brothers' patent attorney.
Original Wright Brothers Patent Documents Discovered After Nearly Three DecadesWritten by W. John Eagan
Mr. Eagan earned his bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Lehigh University and his law degree, with honors from the University of Miami. While at the University of Miami he served as the Inter-American Citator and an Articles and Comments Editor for the Inter-American Law Review. Mr. Eagan is admitted to practice law in the State of Florida and concentrates his practice in Intellectual Property litigation.
Latest from W. John Eagan
- Apple Avoids $300 Million Patent Infringement Verdict
- USPTO Publishes Proposed Rules Implementing Trademark Modernization Act
- U.S. Patent No. 11,000,000
- U.S. Trade Representative Signals Support for Waiver of COVID-19 Vaccine IP Rights
- Declarations of Use Required for Mexican Trademark Registrations