The National Archives reports that the original patent documents for the Wright brothers' Flying Machine surfaced recently after having been mis-filed in 1979. The document was recovered after a targeted search of more than 269 Million documents maintained by the Archives. The discovery is timely, as the documents were due to be displayed next month during the 110th anniversary of the patent grant date. U.S. Patent No. 821,393 was filed in March of 1903, several months before the historic flight, which would have been good advice from the brothers' patent attorney.
Original Wright Brothers Patent Documents Discovered After Nearly Three DecadesWritten by W. John Eagan
Mr. Eagan earned his bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from Lehigh University and his law degree, with honors from the University of Miami. While at the University of Miami he served as the Inter-American Citator and an Articles and Comments Editor for the Inter-American Law Review. Mr. Eagan is admitted to practice law in the State of Florida and concentrates his practice in Intellectual Property litigation.
Latest from W. John Eagan
- Patent Applications Filed Naming Artificial Intelligence as Inventor
- Ninth Circuit Laments Game of Thrones Final Season in Judicial Opinion
- Guitar Maker Gibson Loses Bid to Trademark Body Shape of "Flying V" in Europe
- Estate of Prince Attempting to Register the Color Purple as a Trademark
- Supreme Court Rules "Secret" Sale of Invention Can Trigger On-Sale Bar Under America Invents Act